Monsoon season officially begins in June and residents are encouraged to prepare for severe weather.
There are several things you can do for safety’s sake:
• Trim trees so they are away from windows and roofs, to prevent breakage and uprooting
• Clear debris from your roof drainage system and from street gutters to prevent street flooding; city crews will clear storm drains to allow rainwater to drain efficiently
• Pack a three-day emergency bag of supplies, water, food and medications
• Keep pets indoors when storms are predicted
Also, note that Tempe’s popular Operation Sandbag is back. Bring a shovel and pick up sand and bags at either of two locations:
• Benedict Sports Complex: 490 W. Guadalupe Road (northwest corner of Guadalupe and Kyrene roads, east side of parking lot)
• North Tempe: Access drive north of Rio Salado Parkway and Hardy Drive (near city’s free compost pile)
Check out Tempe’s Monsoon Prep Checklist for more tips on what to do before, during and after a storm to keep your family and property safe and secure.
Visit www.tempe.gov/monsoons or call 480-350-4311 for more information.
For street closure information, visit www.az511.gov.