Rosh Hashanah services to be free and open to all
Temple Emanuel of Tempe has moved its main services for Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur to Phoenix Civic Plaza this year to accommodate what it says are a growing congregation and other temple needs.
Several of the services, however, will remain at the local temple.
Members of Kyrene Corridor communities are again invited to attend services free of charge on the second day of Rosh Hashanah.
Services will be held at 10 a.m. Friday, Sept. 17, at Temple Emanuel.
This will mark the 10th consecutive year the temple has opened its doors in this fashion to non-members.
This year, Temple Emanuel will offer several traditional/adult and teen services in an effort to make the services more relevant to its younger and more senior members of the congregation.
With the exception of services on the second day of Rosh Hashanah, tickets will be required for all other Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur services.
College students and members of the military will be admitted free to all services with proper identification. Tickets must be obtained from the temple office and are required for admittance to services at Phoenix Civic Plaza.
“Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur are two of the most important Jewish holidays, and we look forward to a series of very meaningful and insightful services again this year,” said Rabbi Andrew Straus.
“We are at an exciting new location this year that will give our entire congregation the opportunity to celebrate the Jewish New Year with friends and family.”
Selichot services, which precede Rosh Hashanah, will be held at 8:30 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 11, at the temple.
Rosh Hashanah services will be held on the following dates and times:
• Erev Rosh Hashanah, Wednesday, Sept. 15, 7:30 p.m., Phoenix Civic Plaza.
• First Day of Rosh Hashanah, Thursday, Sept. 16, 10 a.m. (adult and concurrent teen services) at Phoenix Civic Plaza; 3 p.m. (children’s services) at Temple Emanuel.
• Tashlich, Thursday, Sept. 16, 4:30 p.m., ASU Research Park. Details and directions to the services are available by contacting the
• Day of Rosh Hashanah, Friday, Sept. 17, 10 a.m. (traditional service only) at Temple Emanuel.
Yom Kippur services will be held on the following dates and times:
• Kol Nidre, Friday, Sept. 24, 7:30 p.m., at Phoenix Civic Plaza.
• Yom Kippur, Saturday, Sept. 25, at Phoenix Civic Plaza, at the following times: 10 a.m. (morning and concurrent teen services), 1:30 p.m. (children’s services), 3 p.m. (afternoon services), 4:45 p.m. (Yiskor services), and 5:30 p.m. (concluding services).
Detailed directions to Phoenix Civic Plaza and information about tickets for the High Holy Day services can be obtained by contacting the temple office at (480) 838-1414.
Temple Emanuel is at 5801 S. Rural Road, Tempe.