Smoke scare causes evacuation at 2 schools

August 16, 2008

Smoke was detected in the Kyrene Aprende Middle School Multi-Purpose Room at approximately 10:15 a.m. Wednesday, Aug. 13.

School staff evacuated students at Aprende and adjoining Kyrene de las Brisas Elementary School and contacted the Chandler Fire Department. 

Firefighters determined that the smoke was caused by an air handler motor in the air conditioning system of the Aprende multi-purpose room. 

The fire department gave an all clear at approximately 10:45 a.m.,allowing students to return to both schools.  

Repairs to the air conditioning in Aprende’s multi-purpose room will be completed as soon as possible, although school officials said alternative plans for serving lunch to some students was necessary.




'The Valley's Best Community Newspaper' Phoenix Magazine, August 2007
Serving the Kyrene Corridor since 1991.
Copyright © 2008 Wrangler News. All rights reserved.