Temepe Union override OK’d without increase

Voters in the Tempe Union High School District will be asked to continue—but not increase—the current level of funding generated through a previous Maintenance and Operations override election.
The request for continuation of the existing 10 percent property tax add-on will go on the November ballot.
Governing Board members voted unanimously on the matter June 6 following a report from the board’s Citizens Financial Advisory Committee, whose members studied budget implications for an override election and presented their findings in a study session.
Based on information shared by committee members, the board voted to call a special election for the continuation of the 10 percent override.
More than 86 percent of the existing override goes directly to the classroom to support instruction. The remaining 14 percent goes toward maintaining what a district spokeswoman describes as a clean and safe learning environment while ensuring co-curricular opportunities are provided for students.
Governing board members agreed that they know the community continues to face financial challenges; at the same time, however, they indicated they recognize the importance of continuing to provide what they termed safe, quality schools for the children of the district.

Posted by on Jun 17 2013. Filed under Education. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

Leave a Reply

*

Log in

Copyright © Wrangler News Think Local. Read Local. Serving the Kyrene Corridor since 1991.