Tempe Diablos, a well-recognized community group known for its support of charitable activities throughout the city, will once again provide scholarships for deserving students who plan to attend Arizona State University or one of the Maricopa community colleges.
Since its inception, the program has awarded more than $2.3 million in scholarships at the current rate of $250,000 every year.
Each scholarship is for $2,000 the first year, renewable in the same amount for three years provided required criteria are met and funding remains available.
Students must re-apply each year. Members of the Diablos, their spouses, children or dependents are not eligible to apply.
To be eligible an applicant must:
• Be a senior in high school and plan to graduate from a publicly funded, accredited high school.
• Be a resident of Tempe.
• Be classified as an Arizona resident for tuition purposes.
• Show extracurricular involvement in school and/or the community.
• Demonstrate strong leadership abilities and communication skills.
• Demonstrate the potential to continue with college classes by remaining in good standing with the college or university and maintain all scholarship criteria.
• Meet one of the following:
Have a minimum 3.0 grade point average; be ranked in the top 25 percent of the graduating class; have an SAT reasoning of 1040 or higher; have an ACT score of 22 or higher.
Financial need is not a requirement but may be considered. Application filing deadline is Friday, Jan. 25.
To obtain more information or to apply for a Tempe Diablo scholarship, consult a school counselor or go to www.tempediablos.org, and click on “scholarships” at the main menu. There are specific instructions listed on the Scholarships page. It is recommended that instructions be followed precisely.